Wednesday 13 July 2011

Inspiration and Creative Release

I’m sure everyone has their own way of being inspired (or stimulating those little sparks of inspiration). For me, it’s looking at colours, textures and details in the things around us. I find certain colours and patterns can start my mind going, doing a few doodles based on the texture of something can get my creative mind engaged.

Pencil and ink textures

Character studies 

The idea of starting a new collection is something both exciting and daunting. How do you go about creating something new and exciting that’s still as interesting as the work you’ve done before? How do you do it without copying wholesale from your own work?

Quick egg texture studies - mixed media

 mushroom and fungi

Spores and bacteria fungus

I often think of the sculptors who carefully carve away at blocks of stone to release a beautiful image trapped within. My mind is carving away these images, defining their essence and their subtleties. Eventually, through my work, I can release them into the world... my world!

1 comment:

Yanii Moodie said...

This post is so inspiring, usually when I have a concept in mind I usually rush into sampling and find my inspiration through trial and error.